Friday, March 21, 2008

Craft Project: Bermuda Bag

I had the day off today and decided to try out the sewing machine Big Guy got me for Christmas.

I took one sewing class this past fall- so I had some limited sewing experience- (I never had a home economics class in high school.) I had to read the instruction manual, and I did some practice work on a colorful strip of fabric as you can see:





I really wanted to do something crafty and was inspired by the madras plaids in the purses I talked about in my previous post, so I bought some wooden handles and fabric at the store. What I didn't buy- unfortunately- was a pattern, and I couldn't find anything online. Since it turned into a pretty nasty day- I couldn't go to the store and buy one, so I thought about it a little and decided to dive right in and go for it!!! I used the grocery store circular to cut a pattern.







Then I used the paper to cut out my fabric- I used the polka dot fabric for the inside lining and the plaid for the outside...









And Ta-dah!!!!!!! It turned out ok! I still need to figure out how to finish the top seams and then I need to sew the buttons and make the button holes, but I think I did a pretty decent job for a first try--- plus I have a lot of extra fabric for another try if things go bad!







Midwest Pup wasn't really interested in the purse making.... he pretty much slept all day. He is currently curled up inside my shirt. What a bum.




Have a great weekend everyone. We are looking at houses in Wilmette and Evanston (Northern Suburbs) tomorrow morning so wish me luck! Have a nice Easter Sunday if you celebrate it! PDD- thanks for the help with the craft project!

12 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Wow- you did a GREAT job!! Congrats on your first go at sewing!!

Tippy said...

I'm VERY impressed! And let me be the first to welcome you to the north shore and hope you find a house you can feel happy in, if not the house of your dreams.

Seeking Him said...

Glad it worked out for ya! :) Very cute! I like the fabric.

If you ever want an indepth tutorial on bag making, let me know. I just about killed myself trying to figure it out alone, and it is the most backward, upside-down process alive. It could drive a sane woman to tears!

Kate said...

great job- I'm not crafty at all!

Me said...

I'm so impressed-AND inspired! I think I need to find a fabric store...

Good luck with the house hunting. Evanston is one of my dream locales, believe it or not (I know it's hard to grasp, with the winter you guys have been having, why anyone would want to move there, but I love Chicago!). Can't wait to hear about what you find.

Donna

Suburban prep said...

The bag is great. What a wonderful job.

Emily said...

I am just dieing to go to a fabric store and start a project with my new sewing machine! I love what you did! Did you buy the handles at the fabric store too? I plan to start with a tote bag!

TCP said...

Very impressive! I told Mr TC over the weekend that I want to get a sewing machine and he couldn't stop laughing...you give me hope!

Hope you had good luck with househunting--I love those two towns.

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

Very cute! Great job! I love making my own creations. And, you will love it when someone compliments you and you can say "I made it"! So fun! :)

Hope the house hunting went well, I'm further up the shore but if I win the lottery, Kenilworth or Winnetka, here I come!

Preppy Lizard said...

AWESOME job for your first purse craft! I am totally impressed! That fabric is great.
Good luck with the house hunting...

Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

Kiki said...

What a great job!!! I am fearfully inept at sewing, but own a wonderful machine and really need to use it! You inspired me today!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute bag! I am quite impressed about your craft skills.

Follow Midwestprep on Twitter